Wednesday 30 March 2011

From little seeds...

SEEDS SOWN TODAY...

Dreams are the seeds of change. Nothing ever grows without a seed, and nothing ever changes without a dream. (Debby Boone)

 A friend gave me two lots of seeds for Christmas.
Spring now, so it's time I got them planted.

One set contains seeds of favourite kitchen herbs: coriander, chives, basil and curly parsley.
The other is fruits: alpine strawberry, honeydew melon, sugar baby melon and kiwi fruit. 

Love them all! So I got started today and tipped half the compost into the seed tray provided. Into each of the four little compartments I sprinkled the different miniscule natural jack-in-a-boxes, all ready to burst and sprout with goodies later on!

Nom nom nom! Can't wait! (Gonna have to!)
Being me, even this simple operation wasn't without setback. I covered the seeds with the rest of the dry compost. To save my limited energy, I decided not to go digging out my watering spray but stuck the whole tray under the tap to moisten.

You guessed it! Turned on the tap (faucet, for my American chums) and - nothing. Zilch. Waited, turned at bit further...nothing...nothing.... then a quick burst of Niagara Falls and half the seeds and compost were in the plughole down the sink.

So another clean up job, not saving any energy, natch!


This was a really neat kit. The lid of the each seed pack doubled as a sun-trapping top for the little propagators.
Popped the perspex lid over each of the two sets of seeds and - four different patches of fertile ground with seeds sleeping till the right moment for sprouting luciously for dinners, salads and general munching delights!



My mouth's watering already!
Watch this space! 
"To see things in the seed, that is genius" - Lao Tzu






No comments:

Post a Comment