Monday 21 January 2019

ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

Picture credit: Elephant by joeclub_ake at Pixabay
Trunk out the window
Skull skimming the ceiling
My soles skid on people-patterned parquet
I squeeze myself into
Your denial
Your unwilling
Hope against hope
You’ll notice me
Acknowledge me
Before I am crushed
By the narrowness
Of your room

Dropping your voice
You talk across me
As if I am invisible
I know you prefer me shrunken.
I weep at my bulk
My inconvenient presence
The way I wear
This pachyderm skin
I know I embarrass you.
I see it in your
Averted eyes
Hushed voices
Awkward silences

Someone feels my leg.
I am called a tree.
One grabs my ear
And I become a fan.
Fondler of my flank
I am not a wall
In your world of human hating
My tusk your spear
My trunk a snake
My tail you tug as rope
Please stop!
Focus your eyes
Hard as obsidian
And see me!
Know me.
Let me be here.
Admit it.
Admit me.
Embrace me
As I am.

Then scramble up on my back
And I’ll carry you home.

No comments:

Post a Comment